Saturday, November 7, 2009

Activating Prior Knowledge

David Ausubel said, “The single most important factor influencing learning is what the learner already knows.” It has been said many times before that students learn more effectively when they are able to connect new material with something that they already know. By giving the opportunity for connections to be made in the classroom, this can easily spark the interest of a child and motivate them into the topic you are going to be teaching. So, this week, I would like to discuss ways that teachers can activate prior knowledge in the classroom in hopes that you will be able to utilize these strategies in your classroom.


1. KWL- This method has been around since my mom has been teaching, which is about 25+ years. (Maybe it has been around even longer than that!) However, despite its age, KWL organizers are great ways to spark conversation and get a feel for what students actually know about a particular topic. The ‘K’ stands for what students KNOW, the ‘W’ for what they want to know, and the ‘L’ for what they learned. I like this strategy because the ‘W’ should serve as a way to inspire thoughtful, critical thinking. I also think this strategy is beneficial because the “L” serves as a great way to close a lesson or assess what students took from the lesson.

2. Think-Pair-Share- I use this method all of the time in my math class. I think that it is a great way to activate prior knowledge, but it is also a way for students to interact with one another. The way that I use this strategy in my classroom is I will pose a question, in which students will need to think about . I will then have students get with their partner and discuss the question that I asked. Lastly, students from each group share with the class what was discussed in their groups. A few weeks ago, we studied the order of operations. I gave students the following question:

How to Make Cereal

1. Pour milk into bowl

2. Put sugar in bowl

3. Pour cereal into bowl

What is wrong with these directions for how to make cereal? How should they read? Why are following steps important? Where else in our life do we follow sets of rules? Can you provide specific examples?

I chose this because I knew that all students in my class had experience with making cereal, therefore, they would easily connect with this idea. This idea of following rules allowed me to easily transition into my discussion on how the order of operations are specific rules in math we must follow!

3. Real life analogy- I taught a lesson a few weeks ago on prime factorization. The students had to take a number, such as 35, and break it down into its prime factors. (which would be 7 and 5). Anyways, before getting into prime factorization and what the process looked like, I brought in a 10 piece puzzle. I gave each puzzle piece to my students and explained that when we factor a number, it is like breaking the number into pieces, like with the puzzle. Each puzzle piece is a factor. In my analogy, the entire puzzle was like the number 35 and the puzzle pieces represented prime factors.

4. Graphic Organizers- One organizer that I particularly like in math is the T-Chart. As a way to activate prior knowledge on greatest common factor, my class drew a line down the center of their paper. On the left column, they wrote ‘synonyms for the word greatest’ and on the right they wrote, ‘synonyms for the words common’. Then, in groups, students worked together to find the different synonyms and defined GCF on their own!

5. Preview Vocabulary- In my math class, one of the ways that I like to preview vocabulary is by using a semantic map. All you have to do is draw a circle around the vocabulary word you are using and students write all the different words that they associate with that one word. In addition to this, a new curriculum that I purchased, Step Up to Writing: Math, has different graphic organizers and suggestions on how to preview vocabulary. I will post more as I continue to explore this wonderful resource.

6. Link to personal experience- Like the example in the Think-Pair-Share strategy with cereal, I chose this because I knew the kids had personal experience with making cereal. Any time you are able to find that hook or question that most kids have experience with, this is a great way to get the lesson going. Asking questions such as ‘Have you ever…..” is just one way I start lessons and try to link to personal experience.

7. Anticipation Guide- This strategy is used all the time in reading, but it can be used in math, too! Check “Agree” or “Disagree” beside each statement prior to the lesson. Then, students compare their choice and explanation with a partner. After the lesson is over, they revisit their choices and check “Agree” or “Disagree” on the opposite side. Students are then encouraged to compare their answers with the answers noted prior to the lesson.

8. Graffiti Wall- Cover one spot on your wall with butcher paper and invite students to write down their comments about the topic you are studying.

9. Video Clip, Music, Art- Using visual/auditory aids are great ways to activating prior knowledge. Last year when my students were studying theme in my University Prep class, I played the song ‘Umbrella’ by Rhianna for them. They were instructed to listen to the song and then with a partner, explain what they thought the song was about. This introductory activity was a great segue way into a discussion on theme in literature.

1 comment: